Desember 06, 2018
HOW VIRTUAL REALITY (VR) IS ABOUT TO TRANSFORM THE TRAVEL INDUSTRY
WHAT IS VR ALL ABOUT
Virtual Reality (VR) is the term used to describe a three-dimensional generated environment which can be explored and interacted with by a person. That person becomes part of this virtual world or is immersed within this environment and whilst there, is able to manipulate objects or perform a series of actions.
TYPES OF VR
Computer generated content (CGI)
CGI can be generated based on fiction, or a rebuild on a real environment; CGI is mostly being used in the gaming industry.
360 images based on real photography
A simulation of an existing location, usually composed of a sequence of still images. It may also use other multimedia elements such as sound effects, music, narration, and text.
Interactive 360 videos
Also known as immersive videos or spherical videos, are video recordings where a view in every direction is recorded at the same time, filmed using an omnidirectional camera or a collection of cameras.
Scanning camera devices
A three-dimensional camera system to create semi realistic experiences.
VR TECHNOLOGY BEING USED IN THE TRAVEL INDUSTRY
VR technology has taken the world by storm in recent years, and is about to transform many more indus- try sectors; the gaming industry is currently on the forefront while other sectors like the travel industry are increasingly realising VRs huge potential
• VR provides value-added customer experience - an image uses 1,000 words whereas VR tells the whole story; in a recent study, it was found that 80% of people who experienced VR to explore a destination felt “transported to another world”
• VR content has become a massive success, and VR headsets are much more affordable and are also be coming a consumer product compared to an unaffordable luxury accessory in the past; Gopro and Sam- sung (and many other upcoming competitors) have introduced 360 cameras
• VR dramatically enhances customer confidence and thus increases the decision-making process (i.e. booking) as content can be properly viewed using VR (unlike travel magazine pictures)
• Mediums such as Facebook, Youtube, etc. started to allow 360 content on their platforms; the most of smart phones can also create 360 content, this made a massive positive impact on consumer behaviour
• VR has been growing at a fast pace from US$1.8 billion in 2016. to 2.2 billion in 2017. and is expected to reach US$19 billion by 2020. and is forecasted to even grow to US$48.5 billion by 2025
VR CONTENT USAGE OF ANANTARA
• Anantara has been cooperating and working with Panomatics for ~6 years • Panomatics VR created VR content for the majority of Anantara’s properties
VISUAL CONTENT BEING USED BY ANANTARA
A thumbnail has been embedded on their home page so that users can directly interact with VR.
Anantara has been using the content on trade shows and during sales calls on their tablets and mobile phones. This greatly affected their clients as they are now able to show to re-sellers their product, enhancing confidence and thus increasing sales.
This is the biggest trend in the future as more travel agents and portals are expecting 360 VR content. Anantara ensures to give copies to their travel agents which can be shown to their respective clients.
VR CONTENT USAGE OF ANANTARA
Anantara has incorporated the VR content at one of the prime locations on their corporate website as to be seen below: